- Download 0
- File Size 174.70 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
ZIMBABWE SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL ACT (CHAPTER 25:18)
ZIMBABWE SCHOOL EXAMINATIONS COUNCIL ACT
Act 17/1994, 22/2001 (s. 4).
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
ESTABLISHMENT OF ZIMBABWESCHOOLEXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
- Establishment of Zimbabwe School Examinations Council.
- Functions of Council.
- Examinations Board.
- Composition of Board.
- Disqualification for membership of Board.
- Terms and conditions of office of members.
- Vacation of office by members and filling of vacancies.
- Vice-chairman of Board.
- Meetings and procedure of Board.
- Examinations Committee.
- Finance Committee.
- Other committees of Board.
- Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees.
- Remuneration and allowances of members of Board and committees.
- Validity of decisions and acts of Board and committees.
- Execution of contracts and instruments by Council.
- Appointment of Director.
- Reports of Board.
FINANCIALPROVISIONS RELATING TO COUNCIL
- Funds of Council.
- Investment of moneys not immediately required by Council.
- Council to make certain charges to revenue account.
- Establishment and operation of reserve fund.
- Meeting of deficiencies.
- Financial year of Council.
- Accounts of Council.
- Appointment of auditors and audit or accounts of Council.
- Powers of auditors.
- Exemption from liability of Council and members.
- Indemnity of members and officers of Council.
- Investigation into affairs of Council.
- Minister may give directions on matters of policy.
- Cancellation of examinations and annulment of results.
- Offences and penalties.
SCHEDULE: Powers of Council.
AN ACT to establish the Zimbabwe School Examinations Council and to provide for its functions and to provide for matters connected with or incidental to the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: 1st July, 1995.]
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Zimbabwe School Examinations Council Act [Chapter 25:18].
In this Act—
“appointed member” means a member other than the Director;
“Board” means the Examinations Board referred to in section five;
“Council” means the Zimbabwe School Examinations Council established by section three;
“Director” means the Director of the Council appointed in terms of section nineteen;
“examination” means any examination which the Minister, in terms of paragraph (a) of subsection (1) of section four, has directed the Council to organize and conduct;
“examination material” means— (a) an examination paper; or
- notes for the preparation of an examination paper; or
- instructions for the setting up of equipment or the preparation of instruments for an examination; or
- any other document or material which is intended to form part of an examination paper or to enable an examination paper to be prepared;
but does not include examination papers from previous examinations or any other material which is legitimately published in order to assist candidates in any examination;
“Examinations Committee” means the Examinations Committee referred to in subsection (1) of section twelve;
“member” means any member of the Board, including the chairman and the Director;
“Minister” means the Minister of Education or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;
“public university” means a university referred to in subparagraphs (i) and (ii) of paragraph (b) of subsection (1) of section six.
ESTABLISHMENTOF ZIMBABWESCHOOLEXAMINATIONS COUNCIL
3 Establishment of Zimbabwe School Examinations Council
There is hereby established a Council to be known as the Zimbabwe School Examinations Council which shall be a body corporate and, in its corporate name, shall be capable of suing and being sued and, subject to this Act, of performing all acts that bodies corporate may by law perform.
4 Functions of Council
(1) Subject to this Act, the functions of the Council shall be—
- to organize and conduct such examinations in subjects that form part of a course of primary or secondary education as the Minister may in writing direct;
- to consider and approve subjects suitable for examinations;
- to appoint panels or boards of examiners;
- to approve and register examination centres;
- to review rules and regulations relating to examinations;
- to confer or approve the conferment of certificates, diplomas and other awards to persons who have passed examinations;
- to enter into arrangements, whether reciprocal or otherwise, with persons or organizations inside or outside Zimbabwe for the recognition of certificates, diplomas and other awards granted in respect of examinations organized or conducted by the Council;
- to do all things necessary to maintain the integrity of the system of examinations in respect of primary and secondary education in Zimbabwe;
- to do any other thing that the Council may be required to do by or under this Act or any other enactment.
Subject to this Act, the Council shall have power to do or cause to be done, either by itself or through its agents, all or any of the things specified in the Schedule, either absolutely or conditionally and either solely or jointly with others.