- File Size 188.83 KB
- File Count
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE ACT (CHAPTER 25:16)
UNIVERSITY OF ZIMBABWE ACT
Acts 27/1982, 21/1990, 22/2001 (s. 4), 14/2002 (s. 36).
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
- Incorporation of the University.
- The objects and powers of the University.
- Prohibition of discrimination in membership of University.
- Membership of the University.
- The Chancellor.
- The Vice-Chancellor.
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellors.
- Present Principal and Vice-Principals to become Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellors.
- The Council.
- Duties of the Council.
- Powers of the Council.
- Executive Committee of Council.
- The Senate.
- Duties and powers of the Senate.
- The Convocation.
- The Registrar, Bursar and Librarian.
- Terms of service of persons employed by University.
- Staff Disciplinary Committee.
- Student Disciplinary Committee.
- Service of process.
- Validity of decisions of Council, Senate, Convocation or boards or committees.
Statutes of the University.
AN ACT to make further and better provision for the government of the University of Zimbabwe, pursuant to the surrender of the Royal Charter of the 11th February, 1955, in terms of which the University was constituted and founded; and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: 14th January, 1983.]
WHEREAS by Royal Charter dated the 11th February, 1955, the University was constituted and incorporated into one body politic and corporate with perpetual succession and with power to sue and be sued;
AND WHEREAS it is desirable that, pursuant to the surrender of the Royal Charter, the University of Zimbabwe should be constituted by and under the law of Zimbabwe: NOW, THEREFORE, be it enacted as follows—
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the University of Zimbabwe Act [Chapter 25:16].
In this Act—
“academic staff” means all persons employed, whether full-time or part-time, by the University as—
- professors, lecturers of any class or persons engaged in research; or
- holders of posts declared by the Senate to be academic posts;
“administrative staff” means all persons employed, whether full-time or part-time, by the University who—
- are not members of the academic staff or employees and whose contracts of appointment are for not less than one year; or
- are holders of posts declared by the Registrar to be administrative posts;
“Academic Appointments Board” means the Board established in terms of subsection (2) of section twenty;
“Bursar” means the person appointed to be the Bursar of the University;
“Chairman of Department” means the person appointed by the Vice-Chancellor to be the chairman of a teaching department or the head of any institute or centre controlled by the University;
“Council” means the Council established in terms of subsection (1) of section eleven;
“employee” means any person employed by the Council who is not a member of the academic or administrative staff;
“Faculty” means a Faculty established by the Statutes;
“Head of Department” means a person appointed as a Head of Department in terms of the Royal Charter;
“Librarian” means the person appointed to be the Librarian of the University;
“Minister” means the Minister of Higher Education or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;
“Ordinance” means an Ordinance made by the Council in terms of subsection (1) of section twenty-seven;
“Pro-Vice-Chancellor” means a Pro-Vice-Chancellor of the University appointed in terms of section nine;
“Registrar” means the person appointed to be the Registrar of the University;
“Regulation” means a Regulation made by the Senate in terms of paragraph (1) of section sixteen;
“Royal Charter” means the Royal Charter dated the 11th February, 1955, establishing the University;
“Senate” means the Senate established in terms of subsection (1) of section fifteen;
“Statutes” means the Statutes set out in the Schedule as amended from time to time or replaced in terms of subsection (2) of section twenty-five;
“student” means any person registered by the University for the purpose of obtaining a qualification of the University or any person who is determined by the Senate to be a student;
“Students’ Union” means the association of students recognized by the Council as the Students’ Union;
“teaching department” means a department within a Faculty prescribed by Ordinance as a teaching department;
“University” means the University established by the Royal Charter the incorporation of which is continued by this Act;
“Vice-Chancellor” means the Vice-Chancellor of the University appointed in terms of section eight.