- Download 1
- File Size 996.20 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS ACT (CHAPTER 29:13)
CHAPTER 29:13 RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS ACT
Acts 8/1988, 18/1989 (s. 45), 11/1991 (s. 31), 3/1992, 15/1994 (s. 25),
21/1997 (ss8 to 15), 23/1998, 25/1998 (s. 54), 22/2001 (s. 4), 13/2002 (s. 142), 1/2008 (ss 2 to 4), 3/2009 (s. 56).
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS PART I
- Short title.
- Minister may classify land into categories 4. Areas deemed to be local government areas.
- Specified areas.
- Declaration, naming, alteration and abolition of districts.
- Consultation before exercise of powers relating to districts.
ESTABLISHMENT, NATURE AND MEMBERSHIP OF RURALDISTRICTCOUNCILS
- Establishment and naming of councils and division of areas into wards.
- Consultation before exercise of powers relating to establishment of councils. 10. Incorporation of local authority areas into council areas
- Membership of councils.
- Councils to be bodies corporate.
QUALIFICATIONS, DISQUALIFICATIONS AND ENROLMENT OF VOTERS 14 - 27 [Repealed].
QUALIFICATIONS, DISQUALIFICATIONS AND TERMS OF OFFICE OF ELECTED AND APPOINTED COUNCILLORS
- Terms of office of elected councillors and re-election of councillors.
- Appointed councillors.
- Casual vacancies.
ELECTIONS AND ELECTION PROCEDURE 33. – 44. [Repealed].
PROCEEDINGS OF RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS
- Chairman and vice-chairman.
- Meetings and special meetings of councils.
- Quorum at meetings.
- Disability from voting on account of interest in contracts, etc.
- Validity of proceedings of councils.
- Meetings open to public.
- Minutes of proceedings.
- Rescission or alteration of resolutions.
- Minister’s approval required for certain resolutions.
- Maximum period of leave of absence of councillors.
COMMITTEES OF RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS
- Finance committee.
- Area committees.
- Town boards.
- Roads committee.
- Ward development committees.
- Rural district development committee.
- Environment committee and subcommittees.
- Other committees of council.
- General provisions applicable to all committees.
STAFF OF RURALDISTRICT COUNCILS
- Interpretation in Part IX.
- Appointment of officers and employees of councils.
- Conditions of service of officers and employees of councils.
- Delegation of powers to appoint and dismiss employees of councils.
- Delegation of powers of councils to officers and employees.
- Corrupt practices by officers and employees of councils.
POWERS OF DUTIES OF RURALDISTRICT COUNCILS
- Powers of councils generally.
- Powers in regard to sewerage and drainage.
- Enforcement of conditions of title.
- Development functions of councils.
- Owners and occupiers of land may be charged for services made available.
- Charges, rents and deposits by resolution.
- Powers of entry and inspection.
- Compulsory acquisition of property.
- Contracts and tenders of councils.
- Income-generating projects.
- Establishment of co-operatives.
- Co-operation with local authorities and persons.
- Joint committees: by agreement.
- Joint committees: Minister’s authority.
- Provisions as to members and proceedings of joint committees.
- Estate development.
- Minister’s power to act on behalf of councils re state development.
BY-LAWS OF RURAL DISTRICT COUNCILS
- Making of by-laws.
- By-laws in relation to certain urban areas.
- Minister’s approval of by-laws.
- Model by-laws.
- Effect of repeal or amendment of model by-laws.
- Model building by-laws.
- Minister’s power to make or adopt by-laws on behalf of councils.
LEVIES AND OTHER CHARGES
- Interpretation in Part XII.
- Levies in rural areas.
- Special levies in rural areas.
97A. Special unit tax on A1 and A2 farms.
- Urban land which is rateable property.
- Rates in respect of rateable property.
- Special rates in respect of rateable property.
- Application of provisions of Cap. 29:15 relating to valuation and rating.
- Land development levies on urban land.
- Notice of intention to impose special levy or special rate.
- Notice of liability to pay charges.
- Imposition of and accounting for levies, rates and special rates.
- When persons liable to pay portion only of charge.
- Abatements for prompt payment of charges.
- Interest on unpaid charges.
- Charges to be paid before transfer of land.
- Occupiers and agents liable for levies and rates in default of owners.
- Collection of charges and payment by instalments.
- Payment of charges by persons who first become liable thereto after fixed date.
- Councils may require persons liable to pay levy to submit returns.
- Refusal by occupiers to disclose names and addresses of owners of persons receiving rent.
- Taxpayers leaving Zimbabwe.
- Sales and leases of land and cancellations thereof to be reported to councils.
- Interpretation in Part XIII.
- Funds of councils.
- Financial year.
- Books and accounts.
- Elimination or reduction of accumulated deficit.
- Banking accounts.
- Borrowing powers.
- Bank overdrafts.
- Security for loans.
- Repayment of loans.
- Capital development funds.
- Revenue reserves.
- Housing account.
- Investment of moneys.
- Guarantees of loans to officers and employees.
- Writing off of bad debts.
- Appointment of auditors.
- Duties of councils re
- Powers and report of auditor.
- Duty of council re accounts and report of auditor.
- Power of Minister to conduct financial inquiry.