- File Size 318.10 KB
- File Count
- Create Date July 25, 2020
- Last Updated July 25, 2020
Inland Waters Shipping Act
Acts 34/1971, 42/1976 (s. 22), 37/1977 (s. 18), 15/1981, 22/2001 (s. 4) 23/2004 (s. 282); S.I. 583/1979.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
- Declaration of inland waters.
- Application of Part II.
- Vessels to be registered.
- Ports of registry and registers of vessels.
- Registration of vessels.
- Duration of registration certificates.
- Change of ownership or address.
- Destruction of vessels.
- Registration certificate and registration mark and number to be kept affixed to vessel.
- Removal of unregistered vessels.
- Central registry of vessels.
- Application of Part III.
- Vessels to be surveyed.
- Survey of vessels.
- Standards to be applied in survey.
- Duration of surveyor’s certificate.
MASTERS AND CREWS OF VESSELS 19. Competency of masters and crews in certain vessels.
- Agreement with certain other countries.
- Power to suspend provisions inconsistent with treaties.
CONTROL AND INSPECTION OFVESSELS, REMOVALOF WRECKS AND HOLDING OFINQUIRIES
- Power of inspection and direction of vessels found to be unsafe.
- General powers of surveyors, police officers, registrars of vessels and other authorized persons.
- Power to remove or dispose of wreck.
- Inquiries as to shipping casualties.
INLAND WATERS SHIPPING SERVICES
- Interpretation in Part VII.
- No services except under permit.
- Establishment of Board and appointment of assessors and secretary.
- Terms of office of members who are not civil servants.
- Disqualification for appointment as member.
- Vacation of office by member.
- Meetings and proceedings of Board.
- Members to declare certain interests.
- Validity of Board’s decisions and acts.
- Advisory functions of Board.
- Inquiries by Board.
- Powers of Board in relation to permits and exemptions.
- Temporary permits.
- Publication of applications for ordinary permits.
- Applications for ordinary permits: objections.
- Applications for ordinary permits: holding of inquiries.
- Manner of performance by Board of functions referred to in section 37 (1) (a).
- Permits open to inspection.
- Revocation, suspension and variation of permits and exemptions.
- Notice of inquiry.
- Board may revoke or vary permit or exemption.
- No refund of fees.
- Permits to continue if application made for renewal.
- Emergency powers.
- Appointments by Minister.
- Duty to give information.
53A. Use of vessel and interference therewith without owner’s consent
53B. Power of police to stop and search vessel 54. Damage to navigation marks.
- Designation of harbours.
- Certain provisions as to legal proceedings.
- State to be bound.
AN ACT to provide for the registration, survey and safety of vessels used on the inland waters of Zimbabwe; to make provision for the safety of passengers and cargo, the competency of masters and crews and the regulation of services performed on inland waters by means of vessels; and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: 1st October, 1971.]
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Inland Waters Shipping Act [Chapter 13:06].
(1) In this Act—
“Board” means the Inland Waters Shipping Services Board established under section twenty-eight;
“canoe” means a vessel propelled by paddle or pole;