- Download 537
- File Size 297.52 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date July 24, 2020
- Last Updated July 26, 2020
Lotteries And Gaming Act
Acts 26/1998, 22/2001 (s. 4), 14/2002 (s. 16)
Arrangement Of Sections
- Short title and date of commencement.
- Establishment of Lotteries and Gaming Board.
- Functions of Board.
- Constitution of Board.
- Disqualifications for appointment to Board.
- Terms of office and conditions of service of members.
- Members to disclose business interests and assets.
- Vacation of office by member.
- Suspension of member.
- Dismissal of Board.
- Filling of vacancies on Board.
- Meetings and procedure of Board.
- Secretary and staff of Board.
- Committees of Board.
- Members of Board or committees to disclose certain connections and interests.
- Minutes of proceedings of Board and committees.
- Remuneration and allowances of members of Board or committees.
- Policy directions to Board.
- Reports of Board.
- Validity of decisions and acts of Board and committees.
FINANCIALPROVISIONS RELATING TO BOARD
- Grants to Board from Fund.
- Funds of Board.
- Investment of moneys not immediately required by Board.
- Financial year of Board.
- Accounts of Board.
- Audit of Board’s accounts.
- Powers of auditors.
- Internal auditor.
REGULATION AND LICENSING OF LOTTERIES ANDGAMING
- Prohibition against conduct of unlicensed lottery.
- Prohibition against unlicensed gaming activities.
- Application for and issue or refusal of licence.
- Form and period of validity of licence.
- Terms and conditions of licence.
- Renewal of licence.
- Transfer or amendment of licence.
- Suspension or cancellation of licence.
- Special provisions relating to casino licences.
CONDUCT OFLOTTERIES BY OR ONBEHALF OFSTATE
- Interpretation in Part V.
- Power of Minister to conduct or authorise the conduct of State lotteries.
- Promotion and conduct of State lotteries.
- Minors not to be sold tickets nor entitled to prizes.
- State Lotteries Account.
- Payment of prizes.
- Proportion of proceeds of State lotteries to be used for charity or sport.
- Director of State Lotteries and other officers.
- Minister may delegate powers.
- Non-liability of State and officers.
- Audit of State Lotteries Account.
- Imposition of levies.
- Withdrawal, suspension or increase of levy.
- Recovery of unpaid levy.
LOTTERIES ANDGAMING FUND
- Establishment and objects of Lotteries and Gaming Fund.
- Composition of Fund.
- Administration of Fund.
- Financial year of Fund.
- Books of account and audit of Fund.
- Powers of entry and inspection.
- Information to be kept confidential.
- Cheating in game or lottery.
- Prohibition against gaming by minors.
- Validity of certain gaming contracts.
- Recovery of subscriptions and prizes in illegal lottery.
- Amendment of Cap. 10:02.
- Repeals and savings.
AN ACT to regulate and control lotteries and gaming and activities connected therewith; to establish the Lotteries and Gaming Board and to provide for its functions; to establish the Lotteries and Gaming Fund and to provide for its management and control; to provide for the promotion and conduct of State lotteries and the safeguarding and application of revenues derived therefrom; to provide for the imposition of levies on persons who conduct lotteries and gaming activities and to regulate the payment of such levies; to amend the Betting and Totalizator Control Act [Chapter 10:02] and to repeal the Gaminghouses Suppression Act [Chapter 9:09], the Lotteries Prohibition Act [Chapter 9:14], the Casino Act [Chapter 10:03], the Lotteries and Gaming (Exemption) Act [Chapter 10:13] and the State Lotteries Act [Chapter 17:07]; and to provide for matters connected with or incidental to the foregoing.
[Date of commencement : 1st October, 2000]
1 Short title and date of commencement
This Act may be cited as the Lotteries and Gaming Act [Chapter 10:26].
In this Act—
“Board” means the Lotteries and Gaming Board constituted in terms of section three;
“casino” means premises upon which gaming is conducted in accordance with this Act;
“casino area” means the area specified in terms of subparagraph (ii) of paragraph (d) of subsection (1) of section thirty-three;
“casino licence” includes a temporary casino licence referred to in subsection (4) of section thirty-eight;
“committee” means a committee of the Board;
“Fund” means the Lotteries and Gaming Fund established by section fifty-three;
“game” means any game, irrespective of whether or not its result is determined by chance, played with playingcards, dice or a gaming device for money, property, credit or anything of value, other than an opportunity to play a further game, and includes, without derogating from the foregoing, roulette, bingo, twenty-one, blackjack, chemin de fer, baccarat and computerised racing;
“gaming device” means any equipment or mechanical, electro-mechanical or electronic device, component or machine which is used, directly or indirectly, for the purposes of a game and which brings about the result of a wager by determining win or loss;
“levy” means a levy imposed in terms of section fifty;
“licence” means a licence issued under this Act;
“licensed premises” means premises in respect of which a licence is in force;
“liquor” has the meaning assigned to it by the Liquor Act [Chapter 14:14];