- Download 112
- File Size 149.69 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
ZIMBABWE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS (PRIVATE) ACT
Acts 36/1967, 57/1972 (s 24), 15/1976, 29/1981, 29/1985, 22/2001 (s. 4), 3/2008 (s. 40); R.G.N 124/1974; S.I. 362/1980.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
- The Institution.
- Grades of members.
- Registrations amended.
- Register of members.
- Management and control.
- Limitation of liability.
- Removal from Register on non-payment of fees.
- Improper use of designations.
AN ACT to re-enact with amendments the provisions of the Rhodesian Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 216 of 1963].
[Date of commencement: 20th October, 1967.]
WHEREAS the Rhodesian Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 216 of 1963] provides for the establishment and incorporation of the Rhodesian Institution of Engineers, defines its powers and its objects, makes provision with respect to different classes of members and the designation and description of members and with respect to improper use of such designations and descriptions, provides for the appointment of an Inaugural Board and the registration of members, provides for the appointment of a Council and the management of the Institution and for other matters connected with the foregoing;
AND WHEREAS it is expedient to extend the objects of the Institution, to amend the classes of membership and to provide an additional class of membership, to amend the Council’s powers governing the admission of members, to provide for the use of prefixes to the names of members, to amend the designations and descriptions which members may use, to amend the registration of members and their qualifications of membership and to make further and other amendments incidental thereto or consequential thereon;
AND WHEREAS it is expedient to re-enact the Act with amendments giving effect to the matters specified in the preceding paragraph of this preamble and, in so doing, to leave out certain provisions of the Act which are spent:
BE IT ENACTED:—
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 27:16].
In this Act—
“Board” means the Board of the Institution;
[Definition inserted by Act 3 of 2008.]
“Council” means the Engineering council established in terms of the Engineering Council Act [Chapter 27:22] (No. 3 of 2008);
[Definition substituted by Act 3 of 2008.]
“Institution” means the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers established by the previous Act and by this Act;
“member” means a person registered in terms of this Act as a member of the Institution of any grade;
“Minister” means the Minister of Public Construction and National Housing or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;
“previous Act” means the Rhodesian Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 216 of 1963]; “Register” means the list of members registered as members of the Institution.
3 The Institution
- The Institution established by the previous Act is hereby re-incorporated under the same title in terms of this Act.
- The Institution established is a body corporate with perpetual succession capable of suing and being sued and may—
- purchase, hire or otherwise acquire and hold movable and immovable property and erect buildings for the purposes of the Institution;
- borrow or otherwise raise money in such manner as the Institution may think fit;
- sell, realize, lease, mortgage, alienate, improve or otherwise deal with all or any of the property of the
- invest the funds of the Institution which are not immediately required upon such security, if any, as may from time to time be determined;
- institute, control and supervise professional and technical training, teaching and examinations;
- establish, support or aid in the establishment and support of associations, funds, trusts, pensions or provident schemes to benefit officers, members or former officers and members or their dependants, and grant pensions and allowances to any officer, member or former officer or member or his dependants; (g) make charitable donations and grants-in-aid of objects which would benefit the profession; (h) do all such acts and things as are conducive to the attainment of the objects of the Institution.