- File Size 202.26 KB
- File Count
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
ZIMBABWE COUNCIL FOR HIGHER EDUCATION ACT (CHAPTER 25:27)
ZIMBABWE COUNCIL FOR HIGHER EDUCATION ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title and date of commencement.
ESTABLISHMENTOFTHE ZIMBABWECOUNCILFORHIGHER EDUCATION
- Establishment of Council.
- Seal of Council.
- Objects and powers of Council.
- Functions of Council.
- Membership of Council
- Responsibility of the Minister.
- Secretariat of Council.
REGISTRATION OF PRIVATE INSTITUTIONSOF HIGHER EDUCATION
- Registration of private institutions.
- Provisional and final registration of private institutions.
- Provisions to be contained in charters of private institutions.
- Amendment of charters of private institutions.
- Revocation of charters of private institutions.
PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
- Establishment of public institutions.
- Declaration of institutions of higher education.
- Closure or merger public institutions.
INSTITUTIONAL STANDARDS AND ACCREDITATION
- Publication of institutional quality assurance standards and evaluation of institutions.
- Basis of accreditation.
- Effect of accreditation.
- Reports of Institutions to Council.
- Funds of Council.
- Investment of monies not immediately required by Council.
- Financial year.
- Accounts of Council.
- Audit of Council accounts.
- Annual report.
- Repeal of Cap 25:08 and savings.
- Transitional provisions.
First Schedule : Powers of the Council.
Second Schedule: Provisions applicable to the Council.
AN ACT to establish the Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education to register and accredit institutions of higher education; to repeal the National Council for Higher Education Act [Chapter 25:08]; and to provide for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[Date of commencement : 1st October, 2006.]
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education Act, [Chapter 25:27].
In this Act—
“accreditation” means the process of recognition of an institution of higher education’s programmes in accordance with section 18;
“accreditation certificate” means a certificate issued in terms of section 18;
“chairperson” means the chairperson of the Council appointed in terms of section 7(1)(a);
“Chief Executive Officer” means the Chief Executive Officer of the Council appointed in terms of section
“co-opted member” refers to a member co-opted to the Council in terms of section 7(1)(g);
“Council” means the Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education;
“foreign institution of higher education” means an institution whose head office is located outside Zimbabwe;
“higher education” means education provided by institutions of higher education;
“institution of higher education” or “institution” means— (a) a technical or polytechnic college offering degrees; or
- a public or private university or university college and its associate or affiliate institutions, or
- an arm of a foreign institution of higher education that awards degrees;
“institutional quality assurance standards” and “institutional quality assurance system” means the standards and system referred to in section 6(d);
“member” means any member of Council including the chairperson and the Chief Executive Officer of the Council;
“Minister” means the Minister of Higher and Tertiary Education or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time assign the administration of this Act;
“National Qualification Framework Register” means the register referred to in paragraph 7 of the Second Schedule;
“private institution” means an institution of higher education including a university or university college that is not established by the State;
“provisional registration certificate” means a certificate issued in terms of section 11;
“public institution” means an institution including a university or university college established by the State;
“university college” means an institution of higher education established in terms of this Act, which provides teaching up to degree standard and which is affiliated to a university.
ESTABLISHMENTOFTHE ZIMBABWECOUNCILFORHIGHER EDUCATION
3 Establishment of Council
There is hereby established a council to be known as the Zimbabwe Council for Higher Education which shall be a body corporate, capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name and, subject to this Act, of performing all such acts as a body corporate may by law perform.
4 Seal of Council
- The seal of the Council shall be of such design as may be determined by Council and shall be kept in the custody of the Chief Executive Officer.
- The affixing of the seal shall be authenticated by the chairperson, vice-chairperson or any other person authorised by a resolution of the Council.
5 Objects and powers of Council
- The objects of the Council shall be to promote and co-ordinate education provided by institutions of higher education and to act as a regulator in the determination and maintenance of standards of teaching, examinations, academic qualifications and research in institutions of higher education.
- For the better exercise of its objects, the Council shall have powers, subject to this Act, to do or cause to be done, either by itself or through its agents all or any of the things specified in the First Schedule, either absolutely or conditionally or either solely or jointly with others.