- Download 5
- File Size 367.56 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated July 7, 2020
LEGAL PRACTITIONERS ACT (CHAPTER 27:07)
LEGAL PRACTITIONERS ACT
Acts 15/1981, 32/1981, 14/1982, 15/1983, 31/1983, 10/1986, 29/1989, 23/1991, 22/1992(s. 15), 11/1996, 18/1996 (s. 26), 14/1999 (s. 23), 10/2000, 22/2001 (s. 4), 6/2005 (s. 32), 9/2006 (s. 32).
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
REGISTER AND REGISTRATION
- Register of Legal Practitioners.
- Application for registration.
- Application for deletion from Register.
- Exemption certificate.
PRIVILEGES, RESTRICTIONS AND OFFENCES IN CONNECTIONWITH PRACTICE
- Privileges of registered legal practitioners.
- Offences by unqualified persons.
- Prohibition against unqualified persons preparing certain instruments.
- Prohibition against practice by or in association with unqualified persons.
- Prohibition against practice without practising certificate. 12A. Pre-practice examinations and training.
- Opening of trust accounts.
- Books of account.
- Trust account moneys excluded from insolvency or attachment.
- Control of operation of trust account.
- Orders as to costs.
- Saving of liability of bank, etc., in relation to trust account.
- Limitation of set-off, etc., against trust account.
- Saving of set-off, etc., against trust account.
- Council of the Society may require certified balance of trust account.
- Offences in relation to trust accounts.
22A Interpretation in Part IVA.
22B Legal practitioners may enter into contingency fee arrangements.
22C Form of contingency fee arrangement.
22D Non-disclosure of contingency fee arrangement.
22E Maximum fees payable under contingency fee arrangement. 22F Review of contingency fee arrangement or fee payable.
- Unprofessional, dishonourable or unworthy conduct.
- Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Evidence of unprofessional, dishonourable or unworthy conduct from courts. 25A. Prohibition of operation of trust accounts.
- Council of the Society to refer cases to Disciplinary Tribunal. 26A Suspension from practice.
- Taking of evidence by Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Powers of Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Appeals from decisions of Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Suspension in insolvency.
- Registrar to make appropriate entry in Register and to publish order of Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Restoration to Register.
COUNCIL FOR LEGAL EDUCATION
- Interpretation in Part VI.
- Council for Legal Education.
- Functions and powers of Council for Legal Education.
- Membership of Council for Legal Education.
- Disqualifications for membership of Council for Legal Education
- Terms and conditions of office of members of Council for Legal Education.
- Vacation of office by members of Council for Legal Education.
- Meetings and procedure of Council for Legal Education.
- Committees of Council for Legal Education.
- Minutes of proceedings of Council for Legal Education and committees.
- Secretary and other staff of Council for Legal Education.
- Funds of Council for Legal Education.
- Accounts of Council for Legal Education.
- Validity of decisions and acts of Council for Legal Education and committees.
- Execution of instruments by Council for Legal Education.
- Exemption from liability of Council for Legal Education or its members, employees or agents.
- Rules made by Council for Legal Education.
49A. Appeals against decisions of Council for Legal Education.
LAW SOCIETY OF ZIMBABWE
- Interpretation in Part VII.
- Law Society of Zimbabwe.
- Membership of Society.
- Objects and powers.
- Constitution of Council of the Society.
- Management and control of Society by Council of the Society.
- Absence of councillor from Zimbabwe or failure to attend meetings of Council of the Society.
- Casual vacancies.
- Casual vacancy not to invalidate acts of Council of the Society.
- Representative of councillor to attend meetings of council.
- Annual general meetings.
- Special general meetings.
- Quorum at general meetings.
- Society may make by-laws.
LAW SOCIETY COMPENSATIONFUND
- Law Society Compensation Fund.
- Assets of Compensation Fund.
- Expenditure from Compensation Fund.
- Audit of Compensation Fund.
- Law Society Compensation Fund Trustees.
- Functions and powers of Board of Trustees.
- Compensation for loss through dishonesty of registered legal practitioners.
- Subrogation of Board of Trustees.
- Quorumof Council and Society in respect of business of Compensation Fund.
- Applications for practising certificates.
- Issue, renewal and refusal of practising certificates.
- Period of validity of practising certificates.
- Terms and conditions of practising certificates.
- Withdrawal of practising certificates.
- Appeals from decisions of Council of the Society.
- Existing practitioners to be registered as notaries public and conveyancers.
- Audit certificates.
- Right of State and certain parastatal employees to appear in court
- Non-recovery of fee.
- Special provisions relating to legal practitioner employed by State.
- Oaths of loyalty and of office.
- Regulatory power.
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Legal Practitioners Act [Chapter 27:07].
(1) In this Act—
“bank” means a bank which is registered as a commercial bank in terms of the Banking Act [Chapter 24:01];
“Board of Trustees” means the Law Society Compensation Fund Trustees referred to in section sixty-eight;
“building society” means a building society which is registered in terms of the Building Societies Act [Chapter 24:02];
“by-laws” means by-laws made by the Society in terms of section sixty-three;
“Compensation Fund” means the Law Society Compensation Fund referred to in section sixty-four;
“Council for Legal Education” means the Council for Legal Education established in terms of section thirtyfour;
“Council of the Society” means the Council of the Society constituted in terms of section fifty-four;
“Disciplinary Tribunal” means the Disciplinary Tribunal established in terms of section twenty-four;
“fixed date” means the 22nd May, 1981;
“limited practising certificate” means a practising certificate issued in terms of subsection (4) of section seventy-five;
“Minister” means the Minister of Justice, Legal and Parliamentary Affairs or any other Minister to whom the President may, from time to time, assign the administration of this Act;
“practising certificate” means a practising certificate issued in terms of section seventy-five, and includes a limited practising certificate;
“reciprocating country” means a country declared to be a reciprocating country in terms of subsection (2);
“Register” means the Register of Legal Practitioners, Notaries Public and Conveyancers referred to in section three;
“registered” means registered in the Register;
“Registrar” means the Registrar of the High Court;