- Download 0
- File Size 256.93 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 18, 2020
- Last Updated June 19, 2020
Interpretation Act [Chapter 1:01]
Acts 25/1962, 78/1963, 22/1964 (s. 54), 71/1964 (s. 9), 93/1964, 19/1969 (s. 4), 57/1969 (s. 6),
40/1972 (s. 20), 11/1973 (s. 13), 28/1975, 44/1975 (s. 12), 41/1976 (s. 139), 42/1976 (s. 2),
39/1977, 5/1979 (s. 31), 17/1979 (s. 2),
39/1979 (s. 19), 29/1981 (s. 54), 20/1982 (s. 19), 13/1983 (s. 19), 31/1983 (s. 2), 12/1985 (s.
47), 23/1986 (s. 18),
8/1988, 12/1988, 2/1990, 11/1991 (s. 2), 20/1994(s. 2), 12/1997 (s. 2), 22/2001 (s. 4), 23/2001 (s.
14/2002 (s. 2);9/2004,23/2004, 28/2004 (s. 28); (s. 282); Ord. 17/1980 (s. 43); R.G.N.s 214/1964,
217/1970, 1092/1970, 1135/1975; S.I. 236/1980.
1. Short title.
2. Application of this Act.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
GENERAL PROVISIONS REGARDING ENACTMENTS
4. Enactments to apply to whole of Zimbabwe.
6. Preamble and punctuation to form part of enactments.
7. Headings, notes, tables and indexes.
9. Rules as to gender and number.
10. References in enactments.
11. Enactments always speaking.
12. Application of interpretation provisions in enactments.
13. Corresponding meanings of parts of speech.
14. Description of area by reference to official diagram, etc.
15. References to applications and petitions.
15A. References to things done by notice in the Gazette or by statutory instrument. 15B. Use of
extrinsic material in the interpretation of enactments.
REPEAL, RE-ENACTMENT AND AMENDING LEGISLATION
16. Repeal of enactment to include amendments.
17. Effect of repeal of enactment.
18. Effect of substituted provisions.
19. Construction of amending enactment.
20. Date of commencement of statutory instruments.
21. Power to make statutory instruments.
22. References in statutory instruments to standard publications.
23. Application of this Act in relation to model by-laws or regulations.
POWERS AND APPOINTMENTS
24. Statutory powers and duties generally.
25. Exercise of powers before Act comes into operation.
26. Holders of offices.
27. Appointment by name or office.
29. Appointment of alternate members.
30. Power of appointment subject to laws relating to Public Service.
31. Evidence of exercise of statutory power.
32. Evidence of enactments.
35. Amendment of enactments.
TIME AND DISTANCE
36. Regulations, rules and by-laws to be placed before Parliament.
37. Assignment of Vice-Presidential or Ministerial functions.
38. Transfer of functions of State employees.
39. Validity of acts done before assignment or transfer of functions.
40. Service of documents.
41. Affirmation in lieu of an oath.
AN ACT to define certain terms when used in legislative enactments; to make provision with respect
to the operation, commencement and interpretation of legislative enactments; to shorten the
language of legislative enactments; and for other purposes.
[Date of commencement: 1st November, 1962.]
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Interpretation Act [Chapter 1:01].
2 Application of this Act
(1) The provisions of this Act shall extend and apply to every enactment as defined in this Act,
including this Act, which was in force in Zimbabwe immediately before the 1st November, 1962, or
thereafter comes into force in Zimbabwe, except in so far as any such provisions—
(a) are inconsistent with the intention or object of such enactment; or
(b) would give to any word, expression or provision of any such enactment an interpretation
inconsistent with the context; or
(c) are in such enactment declared not applicable thereto.
(2) Nothing in this Act shall exclude the application to any enactment of any rule of construction
applicable thereto and not inconsistent with this Act.
(1) In every Act—
“Minister” means a Minister of the Government;
“prescribed” means prescribed by the Act or by statutory instrument made thereunder; “this Act”
includes any statutory instrument made and in force under the Act.
(2) In all statutory instruments—
“the Act” means the Act under which the statutory instrument is made. (3) In every enactment—
(a) any law included in the Revised Edition of the Statute Law of Southern Rhodesia prepared under
the authority of the Revised Edition of the Laws Act, 1937; and
(b) any law of the Legislature of Zimbabwe made on or after the 1st January, 1939; and
(c) any law of the Legislature of the former Federation in force in Zimbabwe by virtue of the