- File Size 252.12 KB
- File Count
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
ENGINEERING COUNCIL ACT (CHAPTER 27:22)
ENGINEERING COUNCIL ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title and date of commencement.
- Constituent bodies.
ENGINEERING COUNCIL OF ZIMBABWE
- Establishment of Engineering Council of Zimbabwe.
- Functions of Council.
- Membership and meetings of Council.
- Chairperson and vice-chairperson of Council.
- Secretary and other staff of Council.
- Funds of Council.
- Financial year of Council.
- Accounts of Council and audit of accounts.
- Annual reports and financial statements of Council.
- Minister’s right to investigate.
- Register of Engineers and Technicians.
- Register to be open to inspection.
- Qualification for registration.
- Temporary registration.
- Application for registration.
- Cancellation or suspension of registration.
- Restoration of registration.
- Prohibition against practice by unregistered persons or without practising certificate.
- Application for practising certificate.
- Issue or refusal of practising certificate.
- Period of validity of practising certificate.
- Terms and conditions of practising certificate.
- Withdrawal of practising certificate.
- Surrender of withdrawn or invalid practising certificate.
- Disciplinary proceedings.
- Review of disciplinary proceedings.
- Appeal to Council against disciplinary action.
- Use of certain designations.
- Offences by unregistered persons and those employing them.
- Appeals from decisions of the Council.
- Regulatory Powers.
- By-laws of Council.
- Rules by constituent bodies.
- Amendment of First Schedule.
- Transitional provisions and savings.
AMENDMENT OF CAP27:16 43. Amendment of Cap. 27:16.
First Schedule : Engineering Disciplines.
Second Schedule: Powers of Council.
Third Schedule: Provisions applicable to Council.
To establish an Engineering Council of Zimbabwe and to provide for its functions and powers; to provide for the registration and regulation of the practice of engineers and technicians; to amend the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers (Private) Act [Chapter 27:16]; and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
[Date of commencement : 15th June, 2009.] ENACTED by the President and the Parliament of Zimbabwe.
1 Short title and date of commencement
- This Act may be cited as the Engineering Council Act [Chapter 27:22].
- This Act shall come into operation on a date to be fixed by the President by statutory instrument.
In this Act—
“by-laws” means by by-laws made in terms of section 38;
“constituent body” means an institute, institution, body or federation established by engineers or technicians or both to promote their collective professional interests in one or more of the engineering disciplines defined in the First Schedule, which is declared to be a constituent body of the Council in terms of section 3(5)(a);
“Council” means the Engineering Council of Zimbabwe established by section 4;
“engineer” means a practitioner of any one or more of the engineering disciplines defined in the First Schedule who is entitled to call himself or herself an engineer by virtue of—
- holding such university or college degree or other qualification and having such relevant experience as are recognised by the relevant constituent body for the purposes of the engineering discipline or disciplines of which he or she is a practitioner; or
- being, at the date of commencement of this Act, a fellow or member of the appropriate grade in good standing of the Zimbabwe Institution of Engineers;
“engineering profession” means the body of persons in Zimbabwe engaged as engineers or technicians in any one or more of the engineering disciplines defined in the First Schedule;
“engineering work” means the practice, whether as an engineer or technician, of any one or more of the engineering disciplines defined in the First Schedule to a prescribed standard or level;
“financial year”, in relation to the Council, means the financial year referred to in section 10;
“holder”, in relation to a practising certificate, means the person to whom the practising certificate is issued;
“member” means the chairperson or any other member of the Council;
“Minister” means the Minister of Local Government, Public Works and Urban Development or any other Minister to whom the President may from time to time assign the administration of this Act;