- Download 1
- File Size 582.40 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 28, 2020
- Last Updated June 28, 2020
Electoral Act [Chapter 2:13]
Act 25/2004, 17/2007, 1/2008. SIs. 13B/2008, 43/2008.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title and date of commencement.
3. General principles of democratic elections.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS OF COMMISSION
6. Functions of Commission regarding observers.
STAFF OFCOMMISSION DURING ELECTIONS
17. Staff of Commission during elections.
REGISTRAR-GENERAL OF VOTERS AND CONSTITUENCY REGISTRARS
17A. Voter registration to be conducted continuously.
18. Registrar-General of Voters.
19. Constituency registrars and other officers.
20. Voters rolls to be kept by Commission.
21. Inspection of voters rolls and provision of copies.
22. Powers to demand information.
RESIDENCEQUALIFICATIONS OF VOTERS AND REGISTRATION OFVOTERS
23. Residence qualifications of voters.
24. Claims for registration.
25. Claims for transfer of registration.
26. Voters registration certificates.
26A. Closure of voters rolls 24 hours before nomination day.
OBJECTIONS TO REGISTRATION OFVOTERS
27. Objections by constituency registrar.
28. Objections by voters.
29. Hearing and determination of objections by designated magistrate.
30. Statement of case for opinion of judge in chambers.
31. Posting of names of persons objected to.
MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS RELATING TO REGISTRATION OFVOTERS
32. Removal of duplications.
33. Removal from voters roll on disqualification, death or absence.
34. Registration of voter no longer disqualified.
35. Additional powers to alter voters rolls.
36. How alterations to be made.
OFFENCES IN RELATION TO REGISTRATION OFVOTERS
37. Offences in relation to registration of voters.
DELIMITATION OF CONSTITUENCIES AND ELECTORAL BOUNDARIES
37A. Delimitation of constituencies and electoral divisions to be conducted openly and with consultation.
PROCLAMATION OF GENERAL ELECTIONS AND NOTIFICATION OF BY-ELECTIONS
38. General, presidential and local authority elections.
39. Vacancies and by-elections.
ELECTION OF CHIEFS TO PARLIAMENT
40. Election of Council of Chiefs and of President and Deputy President of Council of Chiefs and other Senator
41. Presiding officers.
42. Quorum of electoral colleges.
43. Nomination of Chiefs as candidates.
44. Conduct of poll for election of Chiefs.
45. Notification of appointment of members of Parliament.
NOMINATION OF CANDIDATES FOR ELECTION ASMEMBERS OFPARLIAMENT
46. Nomination of candidates.
47. Deposit on nomination.
48. Procedure when poll to be held.
49. Withdrawal of candidate.
50. Death of candidate.
PREPARATION FOR AND VOTING AT POLL
51. Polling stations.
52. Provision of requisites and officers for purpose of poll.
53. Hours polling stations to be open.
54. The ballot box.
54A. Recording of ballot papers before polling.
55. Conduct of poll.
56. Entitlement to vote, number of votes and identification of voters.
57. Manner of voting.
58. Spoilt ballot papers.
59. Voting by illiterate voters.
60. Voting by physically incapacitated voters.
61. Procedure at close of poll.
62. Procedure after sealing of ballot boxes.
63. Counting and rejection of votes.
64. Procedure after counting at polling station.
65. Procedure on receipt of polling-station returns.
66. Determination and declaration of result of poll.
67. Notification of result of election.
67A. Recounting of votes.
68. Chief Elections Officer to cause names of candidates elected to be published.
70. Custody and disposal of ballot and other papers.
VOTING BY POST
71. Applications for postal ballot papers.
72. Issue of postal ballot papers.
73. Refusal of application for postal ballot paper.
74. Recipients of postal ballot papers not entitled to vote at polling stations.
75. Voting by post.
76. Postal ballot boxes.
77. Opening of postal ballot boxes.
78. Rejected declarations of identity.
79. Postal ballot papers to be placed in ballot box.
80. Safe-keeping of documents.
81. Offences in relation to postal votes.
GENERAL PROVISIONS RELATING TO POLLS
82. Constituency elections officers and other persons to make declaration of secrecy.
83. Conduct of chief election agents, election agents and observers at elections.
84. Absence of election agents, etc. at opening and closing of ballot boxes, etc.
85. Offences in relation to ballot papers and ballot boxes.
86. Maintenance of secrecy and non-interference with voters and ballot papers.
87. Persons wilfully failing in their duties guilty of offence.
88. Obstruction of election officials.
89. Disorderly conduct in polling station.
89A. Refusal of precautions against double voting.
90. Refusal to leave polling station.
91. Destruction or damaging of voters roll or data relating thereto.
92. Employer to allow employees to vote.
ELECTION EXPENSES AND ELECTION AGENTS