- Category Acts Of Parliament
- Download 2519
- File Size 463.80 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date July 25, 2020
- Last Updated July 26, 2020
Acts 6/2001, 22/2001 (s. 4), 14/2002 (s. 20)
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIESOF MINISTER AND ROAD AUTHORITIES
- General functions of Minister in relation to roads.
- General functions of road authorities.
- What roads may be constructed and maintained by road authorities.
ZIMBABWE NATIONALROADADMINISTRATION AND ROADS FUND
- Establishment of Zimbabwe National Road Administration.
- Functions of Zimbabwe National Road Administration.
- Establishment and constitution of Zimbabwe National Road Administration Board.
- Minister may give Board policy directions.
- Execution of contracts and instruments by Road Administration.
- Reports of Road Administration.
- Appointment and functions of chief executive and other staff of Road Administration.
- Establishment, vesting and objects of Road Fund.
- Composition of Road Fund.
- Application of Road Fund.
- Annual programmes and budgets of road authorities.
- General criteria for the allocation of grants from Road Fund.
- Disbursement of grants from Road Fund.
- Application of moneys received from Road Fund.
- General powers of Road Administration.
- Disputes between road authorities and Road Administration.
- Imposition of fuel levy.
- Withdrawal, suspension or increase of levy.
- Recovery of unpaid fuel levies.
DEPARTMENTOF ROADS FUND
- Establishment of Department of Roads Fund.
- Application of Department of Roads Fund.
DECLARATION, DIVERSION AND CLOSURE OFROADS BYROAD AUTHORITIES
- Interpretation in Part VI.
- Declaration of roads.
- Applications for declaration or diversion of roads.
- Closure of roads.
- Closure or diversion of carriageway.
- Minister or local road authority may appoint board of inquiry in regard to any proposed declaration, diversion or closure.
- Declaration of temporary roads and temporary closure of roads or limitation of traffic.
- Width of roads.
- Declaration that land forms part of road.
CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE OFROADS BY ROAD AUTHORITIES
- Bridges and culverts to be constructed in accordance with approved designs.
- Cattle grids.
- Fences intersecting roads: gates.
- Storm-water from land adjoining roads.
- Construction of road drains and compensation for damage caused.
- Road authority may take land and materials.
- Road authority may sink boreholes or wells.
- Road authority may make entrances through fences.
- Reservations in respect of road-making materials.
- Temporary encampments.
UNLAWFUL DIVERSION, CLOSURE, OBSTRUCTION, ENCROACHMENT, DAMAGE TO AND ENTRY UPON ROADS
- Removal of obstacles and unauthorised structures affecting roads.
- Offences with respect to diversion, closure, obstruction, encroachment and damage to roads.
- Trading on roads or in restricted area.
49.Control of entry upon roads.
PLANNING OF ROADS IN ADVANCE
- Preliminary reservation of land.
- Final reservation.
- Withdrawal or modification of reservation.
- Road authority’s power in regard to unauthorised act.
- Compensation for loss or deprivation of rights arising from reservation of land for purposes of Part IX.
- Notice to owners and other persons.
- Interpretation in Part X.
- Declaration of restricted roads.
- Application to be subject to approved scheme, etc.
- Position in regard to structure or works encroaching upon restricted road.
- Compensation for loss or deprivation of rights arising from declaration of restricted roads.
- Portion of road following new course deemed to be restricted road.
- Notice to owners and other persons.
- Minister may require statistics and information.
- Investigation into affairs of Road Administration.
- General offences and penalties.
- Application of certain provisions of this Act.
- Presumption in relation to roads.
- Amendments to Acts.
- Repeal of Cap. 13:12 and savings.
- Construction of references to roads in other enactments.
- Designation of District Development Fund and rural district councils as road authorities in respect of certain roads.
FIRST SCHEDULE : Provisions Applicable to the Board, Road Fund and Department of Roads Fund. SECOND SCHEDULE : Amendments to Acts.
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Roads Act [Chapter 13:18].
In this Act—
“Board” means the Zimbabwe National Road Administration Board established in terms of section eight;
“cattle grid” means a track constructed through an opening in a fence intersecting a road, with the object of allowing the passage of vehicles and preventing the passage of livestock;
“Department of Roads” means the department under the Minister which is responsible for the construction and maintenance of regional, primary and secondary roads;
“Department of Roads Fund” means the Department of Roads Fund established in terms of section twenty-
“development works” means new road works or works that result in geometric changes of surface type to a road, or any other road works that enhance the infrastructural asset value of any roads;
“dip tank” means a structure that is used for the compulsory dipping of livestock;
“District Development Fund” means the District Development Fund referred to in section 3 of the District Development Fund Act [Chapter 29:06];
[Definition inserted by section 20 of Act 14 of 2002]
“emergency works” means road works required in consequence of any major accident or natural disaster;
“fuel” includes diesel, petrol or other crude oil distillate;
“fuel levy” means a road user fuel levy imposed in terms of section twenty-two;
“heavy vehicle” means a motor vehicle exceeding two thousand three hundred kilograms net mass, but does not include a passenger motor vehicle having seating accommodation for not more than seven passengers;
“local road authority” means a road authority referred to in paragraph (b) (c) or (d) of the definition of “road authority”;