- Download 698
- File Size 243.82 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date July 25, 2020
- Last Updated July 26, 2020
Vehicle Registration And Licensing Act
Acts 23/1970, 42/1971 (s. 5), 13/1972 (s. 17), 21/1973 (s. 61), 39/1973 (s. 36), 25/1974, 42/1976 (s. 24), 48/1976 (s. 82), 37/1977 (s. 19), 41/1978 (s. 25), 20/1982 (s. 19), 12/1986 (s. 16), 8/1988 (s. 164), 18 /2000 (s. 60), 6/2001 (s. 69), 22.2001 (s. 4); R.G.N. 903/1972; S.I. 167/1994, 211/1994.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
2A. Application of the Act to the State and local authorities. PART II
- Appointment and duties of Registrar of Vehicles.
- Designation and duties of registering officers.
- Assignment of registration marks and numbers. PART III
Registration of Vehicles and Vehicle Particulars
- Vehicles to be used on roads to be registered.
- Exemption of certain vehicles from registration.
- Application for registration.
- Allocation of registration mark and number and issue of registration book.
- Display of registration mark and number.
- Application for cancellation of registration.
- Power of Registrar to cancel registration.
- Owner to notify disposal of registered vehicle.
- New owner to register change of ownership.
- Information to be supplied to Registrar.
- Owner to register change of address.
- Owner to register change of particulars.
Temporary Identification of Vehicles
- Temporary identification of vehicles.
- Issue of temporary identification card.
- Display of temporary identification card and use of vehicle.
- Vehicle bearing temporary identification card deemed to be registered and licensed.
LICENSING OF VEHICLES Licensing and Exemptions
- Vehicles to be licensed.
- Duration of licence or exemption certificate.
- Application for licence or exemption certificate.
- Issue of licence or exemption certificate.
- Refusal of licence or exemption certificate where fees still owed.
Temporary Licensing and Change of Character of Registered Vehicles
- Temporary licenses.
- Issue of temporary licence.
- Display of licence or temporary licence.
- Change of character of vehicle.
- Imposition of fees.
- Minister may undertake collection of fees on behalf of local authority.
- Validity of licences.
- Licences to continue to be valid after incorporation of local authority area.
- Imposition of surcharge.
- Fixed penalty for late payment of fees.
- Licence invalidated if fee paid by cheque which is dishonoured.
- Cases where no fee chargeable.
- Refund of fees.
VISITORS AND IMMIGRANTS
- Exemption of certain visitors from liability to register and license vehicles.
- Registration of vehicles by immigrants.
GARAGELICENCES 42. Garage licences.
OFFENCES AND PENALTIES
- Forgery of licence, registration book, mark or number.
SUPPLEMENTARY AND MISCELLANEOUS
- Power to demand documents.
- Furnishing evidence as to mass of motor vehicle.
- Furnishing evidence as to engine capacity of motor.
- Records to be accepted as evidence.
- Duplicate documents.
- Designation of parking supervisor as authorized officer.
- Administrative fee for collection of fees.
SCHEDULE : [Repealed]
AN ACT to provide for the registration and licensing of vehicles; to provide for the levying of fees in respect of such registration and licensing for the benefit of the Consolidated Revenue Fund and certain local authorities; and to provide for matters incidental to the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: 1st September, 1970.]