- File Size 647.98 KB
- File Count
- Create Date July 25, 2020
- Last Updated July 26, 2020
Road Traffic Act
Acts 48/1976, 37/1977 (s. 29), 41/1978 (s. 42), 24/1983, 31/1983, 4/1986, 8/1988 (s. 164), 18/1990, 11/1991, (s. 25), 20/1994 (s. 15)’ 9/1997(s. 10), 20/1999 (s. 39), 3/2000; 6/2001 (s. 69), 22/2001 (s. 4); S.I.s 205/2006, 176/2007, 124/2009.
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
- Short title.
- Application of this Act and certain by-laws to persons and vehicles in service of State.
LICENSING OF DRIVERS OF MOTOR VEHICLES
- Appointment of Registrar of Road Traffic Licences.
- Register of licences.
- Drivers of motor vehicles to be licensed.
- Minimum age limits for drivers of motor vehicles.
7A. Maximum age limit for drivers of certain motor vehicles.
- Tractor drivers permits.
- Issue of learners licences.
- Issue of certificates of competency and drivers licences.
- Persons whose licences have been cancelled to apply for learners licences.
- Medical examinations and medical certificates.
- Certain drivers to produce special medical certificates.
- Duplicate licences.
14A. Period of validity and renewal of drivers licences.
- Voluntary surrender of licences for cancellation or imposition of conditions
INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMITS AND FOREIGN DRIVERS LICENCES
- Interpretation in Part III.
- Issue of international driving permits.
- Recognition of foreign international driving permits and foreign drivers licences.
- Issue of drivers licences to holders of foreign drivers licences and international driving permits.
COMPULSORY INSURANCE AGAINST THIRD-PARTY RISKS ARISING OUT OF USE OF MOTOR VEHICLES
- Certain references in sections 25 to 29.
- President may suspend or restrict operation of Part IV.
- Users of motor vehicles and trailers to be insured against third-party risks.
- Requirements in respect of statutory policies of insurance. 23A. Minister may amend amounts specified in section 23.
- Requirements in respect of statutory securities. 24A. Certificate of insurance or security.
- Right of injured parties to proceed against insurers.
- Certain conditions in statutory policies to be of no effect.
- Insurance discs for certain motor vehicles and trailers.
- Exemption from compliance of section 27.
- Offences in relation to statutory policies.
YELLOW CARD THIRD PARTY INSURANCE
- Interpretation in Part V.
- Designation of National Bureau of Zimbabwe.
- President may declare certain countries to be designated Member States.
- Use of motor vehicles or trailers covered by yellow card.
- Cover provided by yellow card: liability of National Bureau of Zimbabwe to third parties.
- Right of recourse.
- Claim for compensation.
- Obtaining of Part IV insurance cover.
- Issue in Zimbabwe of yellow card for use outside Zimbabwe.
COMPULSORY NO-FAULT INSURANCE FOR PASSENGER PUBLIC SERVICE VEHICLES
38A. Interpretation in Part VA.
38B. Passenger public service vehicles to carry no-fault insurance cover.
38C. Limits of liability in respect of children and small claims.
38D. Display of proof of insurance.
38E. Minister may amend amounts specified in section 38B or 38C.
38F. Application of provisions of Part IV to no-fault insurance.
38G. Provisions of this Part to be additional to those of Part IV.
TRAFFIC SIGNS AND POLICE DIRECTIONS
- Traffic signs generally.
- Minister or local authority may prohibit passage of traffic or impose conditions or restrictions relating to use of road by traffic or limit kind or mass of traffic.
- Speed limit traffic signs.
- Temporary control or diversion of traffic by police traffic signs.
- Traffic signs and police directions to be obeyed.
- Admissibility of affidavits relating to efficiency of certain traffic signs.
CONTROL OF ADVERTISEMENTS
- Control of certain advertisements visible from roads.
- Application of section 45.
- Minister may delegate powers.
- Offences in relation to licences.
- Offences in relation to prohibition from driving.
- Exceeding speed limits.
- Driving without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for others.
- Negligent or dangerous driving.
- Reckless driving.
- Driving with prohibited concentration of alcohol in blood.
- Driving while under influence of alcohol or drugs or both.
- Forgery of certain documents.
- Unlawful contact with or use of vehicles.
- Taking or retaining hold of or boarding motor vehicles or trailers in motion.
- Discharge of fire-arms on or near roads.
- Throwing of articles at or from vehicles and interference with drivers thereof.
60A. Reporting of unlawful instructions.
PROHIBITION FROM DRIVING AND ENDORSEMENT OF LICENCES
- Prohibition from driving on ground of disease or other disability.
- Prohibition from driving by courts of persons who are incompetent to drive or incapable of driving.
- Prohibition from driving on conviction of certain offences.
64A. Prohibition from driving and cancellation of licence upon accumulation of penalty points.
- General provisions relating to prohibition from driving.
- Endorsement of licences.
- Surrender of licences for cancellation or endorsement.
POWERS AND DUTIES OF VARIOUS PERSONS
- Power to demand documents in connection with motor vehicle insurance.
- Information to be given in case of driving offences.
- Duty of drivers in event of accidents.
- Duty to give information relating to identities of drivers.
- General powers of police officers and inspecting officers.
- Notice to discontinue use of vehicles.
- Power to demand licences and detain motor vehicles.
- Registrar, police officers, inspecting officers and examiners may require translation of certain licences.
- Powers of police officers and authorized persons in connection with breath tests.
- Powers of police officers, medical practitioners and designated persons in connection with taking specimens of blood.
- Prohibition from driving if offences committed in terms of section 76 (3) or 77 (6).
- Appointment of examiners.
- Appointment of inspecting officers.
- Regulations, by-laws and resolutions relating to speed limits.
83A. Penalty points system.
- Register and other documents to be accepted as evidence.
- Administrative charges for collection of fees.
- Organization of or participation in races, rallies, tests or trials.
88A. When mandatory penalties need not be imposed.
- Special jurisdiction of magistrates courts.
- Certificate of Registrar to be produced before sentence may be passed in certain cases.
- Previous convictions.
First Schedule: Offences in Respect of Which Licences May be Endorsed.
Second Schedule: Offences in Respect of Which Breath Analyses or Specimens of Blood May be Required. Third Schedule: Matters in Respect of Which Minister May Make Regulations.
AN ACT to provide for the licensing of drivers of motor vehicles; for the issue and recognition of international driving permits and foreign drivers licences; for compulsory insurance against third party risks arising out of the use of motor vehicles; for traffic signs and police directions; for the control of certain advertisements; for certain offences connected with road traffic; for prohibition from driving and endorsement of licences and for the powers and duties of various persons; and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing.
[Date of commencement: Except section 76, 1st July, 1977; Section 76, 1st February, 1979.]